I’ve often suffered with periods of insomnia which makes me feel quite an expert on the subject of sleep, especially when it comes to whats good to eat before bed and what will make you have nightmares.
A warming drink before bed triggers something in the mind which says, lights out and sweet dreams and it works for me every time. Warm cows milk is often given to children before bed, it contains two substances, the hormone melatonin and the amino acid tryptophan which both promote sleep.
I prefer to avoid cows milk as it contains many growth hormones and there are plenty of healthier alternatives out there such as Almond milk, Coconut milk, Tiger Nut Milk and Oat Milk.
Here is my current favourite bedtime drink which contains warming herbs and spices of Turmeric, Ginger and Cinnamon which all promote healing, lower inflammation in the body and which in turn will all promote a good nights sleep.
Choose which milk you prefer, if you really like cows milk but you are trying to find an alternative for health reasons, try oat milk, its got a creamy taste and texture which means you won’t miss cows milk at all. I love this with Almond Milk or Coconut.
- Gradually warm up the milk in a saucepan,
- Add a pinch of grated fresh ginger or powder,
- Add a pinch of grated fresh turmeric or powder,
- Add a little grass fed ghee butter
- Add a cinnamon stick or some cardamom powder
- Add a teaspoon of Manuka Honey
- Warm it up long enough to let the flavours blend and then strain into a teapot if you don’t want any pieces.
- Get in bed with your favourite book and sip your tea,
- Snuggle down and enjoy those Zzzz’s