I have always loved pesto sauce and especially since suffering with heartburn I found a real friend in basil. Basil is an underestimated herb which is full of health benefits.
Not only does basil reduce inflammation, it also reduces the effects of oxidative stress, has anti-ageing properties and its anti-bacterial. There are also studies to show that it can also be effective at fighting cancer. If you ever needed an excuse to eat more basil, this is it.
The problem with the shop bought varieties is that they have so many added preservatives, my main aim is always to keep it fresh, keep it simple and to know exactly what I am eating, so here is my simple fresh Pesto.
Invest in a pestle and mortar or you can use a blender.
- Add lovely fresh clean new green basil leaves, no stalks, and no dead leaves.
- Use the pestle to ground it until its a green paste
- Add a lug of organic olive oil
- Add toasted pine nuts and work into the paste
- Add grated parmesan cheese
- If you want to add crushed garlic you can do that now
- Finish off with a little sea salt and a squirt of lemon and some chilli flakes
- If it seems a little dry add a little more olive oil
The result, an easy pesto sauce as fresh as you can get within 5 minutes, now just add warm pasta, or spirallised courgettes or use the mix to make a salad dressing.